Podcast offerings are three types. “Current issue” podcasts address critical contemporary concerns from a culturally mature perspective. Think of this section as a antidote to today’s extreme partisan polarization and a response to the need for more creative and sophisticated leadership going forward. Each podcast illustrates how we must engage critical issues from a vantage that is more encompassing—more systemic—than we have in times past. It also illustrates how, when we are able to do so, needed answers become straightforward, part of a needed “new common sense.”show more
Podcasts in the “Cultural Maturity” section offer overarching perspective for making sense of what our times ask of us. They are adapted from a twelve article series I recently wrote for the World Future Society. They provide a solid introductory look at the concept of Cultural Maturity—both its implications and the evidence for its conclusions.
Podcasts in the “Big Picture” section are more specifically conceptual. They address culturally mature understanding’s significance in the larger history of ideas and elucidate key ideas from Creative Systems Theory. In time, I will include chapters from the book I am currently working on Creative Systems Theory: A Comprehensive Theory of Purpose, Change, and Interrelationship in Human Systems (With Particular Pertinence to Understanding the Times In which We Live). (The book brings together observations from forty years of work with the theory.)
This set of podcasts responds to current social/political discord by addressing front-page issues from above the partisan fray.
Three Ways Artificial Intelligence Could Be the End of Us — And What Will Be Required For This Not to Be Our Fate
Health Care Reform as Political Crazy-Maker
Bringing Culturally Mature Perspective to the Often Pain-filled Confusions of the Immigration Debate
Culturally Mature Perspective and the Climate Change Debate: How Asking the Wrong Question Results in Actions That Are, in Effect, Suicidal
Techno-Brilliance, Techno-Stupidity, and the Dangers of Techno-Utopian Craziness—Needed Perspective if Our Future is to be Anything We Can Celebrate
Big Picture Theory
These podcasts address key conceptual issues from an overarching systemic perspective. Most draw specifically on the ideas of Creative Systems Theory.
Bringing Wisdom to the Future—Creative Systems Theory’s Concept of Cultural Maturity
Perspective for a Time of Deep Discord: Why We See Things So Differently (and Why Just Trying To Talk About It Is So Often Not Helpful)
Rethinking Identity: How the Myth of the Individual Provides Essential Evidence for Cultural Maturity’s Needed “Growing Up” As a Species (and the Critical Importance of a More Complete Picture of Identity Going Forward)
Transitional Absurdity: Contemporary Craziness and Its Antidote (Or How the Ludicrous Can Co-Exist With Hope)
Science and Religion—Toward a Larger Picture (and How Creative Systems Theory Gets Us Very Close)
The “Big Band Theory”–Creative Systems Theory Takes On Existence As a Whole
JOIN OUR LIST
Cultural Maturity—Making Sense of the Future and What It Asks of Us
These introductory podcasts are adapted from a series of articles developed for the World Future Society.
1. A Different Kind of Futurist
2. Seven Questions On Which It All Depends—A Window Onto Humanity’s Needed “Growing Up”
3. Cultural Maturity—A Snapshot Introduction
4. The Future of Morality—Why Moral Decisions in Times Ahead Will Require Skills New to Us as a Species
5. Beyond “Chosen People” and “Evil Others”—An End to War As We’ve Known It and Other Essential Consequences
6. The Evolution of Love—And How Love Today is Requiring Fundamentally New Skills and Capacities
7. How Changes in What It Means to Lead are Redefining the Human Task
8. The Radical Implications of a New Maturity in Our Relationship With Death
9. Our Modern Crisis of Purpose—And How Humanity’s Needed “Growing up” Becomes the Only Option Going Forward
10 Integrative Meta-Perspective—Understanding the Cognitive Underpinnings of Cultural Maturity
11. A Comparative Look At Scenarios for the Future—Further Evidence for Cultural Maturity’s Necessary (and Now Possible) New Chapter in our Human Story
12. “Come On” Stephen Hawking: The Quandary of Free Will In an Apparently Deterministic Universe (and Related Ultimate Questions)
Questions and Comments